When 1+1=1

I have to be smart in these hard times.

I have two defective earphones.  One is Philips and the other was a Pioneer.  Each one has only one side of the earphones working.  The other side is busted.  I have to twist the coated wire several times to make it work.  Then, a little head movement will cut off the sound again.  Whenever I use either earphones, I can only hear music from one ear.

Will I buy a new pair of earphones?

I have been asking that question for months.  I checked the stores.  The ones I really like costs more than a thousand.  I can settle for those that are about 500 pesos.  But I remember buying my defective earphones at the same prize too and the last one was just less than a year ago.  I don’t want to throw two branded earphones just because one side isn’t working.  I want to squeeze out every cent that it was worth.

It is during these times that I need to be creative.  Maybe it was the engineer in me that caught the idea.  After thinking about it, I found a 30 pesos solution to revive my defective earphones.

I bought a spliter to create this equation.  One defective earphones + one defective earphones = one good earphones.   For just 30 pesos, I have music for both ears again.

img_0130

img_0120

img_0123

8 Responses to “When 1+1=1”

1. Jinoe, desperate times require desperate measures. Congratulations for coming up with that brilliant idea (now, why did I not take up engineering in college?).

Desperate measures indeed. Lumalabas na uli pagkakuripot ko. 😀

2. kinderdorf says:

I prefer earphones that would produce high quality sound. Among the good brands is Sennheiser. You can get 1 for less than P1k. It has also the pricey ones but they are worth it.

Pioneer and Philips are good brands but they pale in comparison to a Sennheiser in terms of durability and sound quality.

Sennheiser have great earphones. I got the chance to test one of them and I really liked the fidelity of the sound at the lowest and highest frequencies. I have my eyes on JBL too. And hopefully bluetooth enabled. Just a wish.

3. bards says:

ey cool trick, buti na lang di ko pa na dispose my half dead earphones. but i fried my ipod again so i have been running without music for a couple of weeks now. i just sing more heheh

Were you singing last Sunday when we saw you at McKinley Hills?

4. ganns says:

Wow! That’s awesome! You’ll have to teach me how to do that.

Hi Ganns. There’s nothing to tweak here. Just by the spliter for earphones at electronics shops. I got mine from the Electronics Boutique at ATC. Some are cost more since they are gold plated. But who needs gold to use with defective earphones?

5. i2runner says:

Boss Jinoe, Great Job! Iba talaga ang inhinyero…
    Parang, “why didn’t I think of that…”

Anyway, you can expect the earphone prices to drop soon due to bad global economy, everybody’s saving their money. So it’ll be a good buy, but the question is, “do you need it?”

Both earphones got busted when I started using them during my runs. Since I dont run with music anymore, I wouldn’t be needing them that much. But I missed listening to my favorite music while on the bus or jeep.

6. Maldito says:

hmmmm….good idea no? ha ha ha….very brilliant..may pagka intsik ka man gale boss jinoe.ha ha ha

7. itsmysocalledlife says:

hey jinoe that’s so genius of you. instead nga naman of buying a new pair of earphones, the splitter was the solution. i also have a problem with my earphone, parang may loose sa loob so every time na tumatakbo ako may naririnig ako na umaalog sa loob. hay, ipon muna ako. :)

8. […] the quality fast.  Before you know it, you'd be needing a new pair.  I even tried reviving some defective earphones to get my money's […]