Popping the Question (Part 2 of 2)

Read the first part here.

I just kept walking around Greenbelt looking for a place to eat while waiting for her reply. Finally, she said she’s leaving the office and will be walking to Greenbelt to meet me. I just found a place to sit and waited for her to arrive.

Upon arrival she asked where we’d eat. She thought I wanted to eat at Cyma. It was just a few weeks ago when we planned to eat here but the place was closed due to the employees year-end party. I told her the place was crowded and you need to be listed first to get a seat. She insisted that we go there.

Little did she know that I don’t want a crowded place. I don’t want people to see me giving her the ring. I don’t want to dine at Cyma because there are plenty of people but she kept on insisting. Grrr… How can I tell her I don’t like the place without being obvious about my plans? I can’t make valid excuses without giving her a hint about the proposal.

So I acted like an irritated guy who is already hungry and who can’t wait to get a seat. I also pretended to be in a bad mood for her being late and she has to follow everything I say. It worked. Of course it will work since it also works for her when she does that. She just asked me where I would want to eat. We walked away from Cyma and I started guiding her to a place that have the right atmosphere.

Again, I have to pretend I haven’t seen the place it. It was in Spicy Fingers which is a few stalls away from Cyma. I have already checked the place, the food and, yes, the price. It was ok. The place is a bit dimmed. Soft music. Familiar Mediterranean and Asian food. Casual. No pressure. I got back to my acting again so that she would say yes with my suggestion on the place and food. It worked again.

We placed our orders right away. And while waiting for the food, we have a little chat and I pulled out the pocket bible as a gift for her and I wanted her to bring it on her business trip in Europe. She opened it and liked its handy size and funky pink leather cover. She started taking about how excited she was on her trip and that all of the necessary papers are ok. That was my cue to give her the travel book.

I showed her the book. She got excited and wanted to grab it and view the pictures. Hey! Be careful. There’s a ring in there! I had to defend the book and pulled it away so that she can’t reach it yet. Then I asked her to calm down a bit and that we will browse through the pages together. The ring was placed in the middle and we can still browse the front pages. I opened the pages slowly for her. We would stop at the pictures of France and would point to her the places she would visit for me. She was concentrating on the pictures and still without any idea on what’s going to happen.

We paused on browsing when the food came. We started eating and finished it up. In a few more minutes, I am about to pop the question.

After the table had been cleared, we talked again and browsed the book. I placed a marker on one of the pages of the book as a reminder that I’m almost close to where the ring was placed. Any page further and I would spoil the suspense.

We reached the page marker. I immediately closed the book. She stared at me blankly. I gave her a hug, made a silent prayer, and whispered to her that I love her.

She whispered back, “I love you, too.”

Then I opened the book. And there it was — the ring!

Her face was still blank. I took a few moments to look at her face. Then, I hold her close and whispered to her again. “Will you marry me?”

She said yes.

I took the ring from the book, took her hand, and slipped the ring to her finger. It fits.

It was a perfect night for both of us. We stayed for a while to start a little planning especially on how to tell our parents and everybody else. We had a glass of wine to celebrate and listen to the band play a few songs.

That was it. After being in love with each other for 10 years (now going on 11), I finally had the courage to propose to her. And this night. is a night to start the rest of our lives being together.

February 1, 2008, Spicy Fingers

17 Responses to “Popping the Question (Part 2 of 2)”

1. Bro J says:

way to go jinoe! yan ang may style! a great way to propose to a lady! God bless on your preparations!

I had other plans pa sana but I had to rush that once baka hindi kasi bumalik from her business trip. Hehehe. Thanks.

2. Loving someone and being loved in return is the ultimate of all human experiences, Jinoe and Que.

May your love for each other continue to bloom and never wither as time goes by.

Hope I get invited on your golden wedding anniversary heh heh …

I hope we reach that 50th mark in our marriage. It’s one reason to be always fit para we will live the love long. Thanks.

3. prometheuscometh says:

Oh wow! Congratulations guys! I am very happy for you guys!

Thanks Bro. 😀

4. the feet daddy says:

i am such a sucker for love stories.
    you don’t know me from adam nor have i met you but since you are arunner/blogger and i consider myself part of the running community,i just have to say this….and so, congratulations and here’s to a blissful lifetime of parnership bro.

Thanks. I must have read and seen a lot of love stories to pull out this one. Hehehe.

5. runningfatboy says:

congrats!

Thanks bro. 😀

6. I never expected a blog like this when I decided to open your blog today. I thought last time I read about the dinosours that this guy is a bit clowdy but decided to try again and wow, above all expectations, you won me back double over. Congratulations to both of you and may God richly bless both of you and your wondefull years together. Finally you got it right after mng 10 years!!!!

Thanks ForeignRunner. And thanks for dropping by too. The dinosaur thing is just a tip of my psychotic episodes. Hehehe.

7. kwan says:

yudeeee… wala gid naghalin ang smile sa face samtang nagabasa sini. congrats….

Thanks bords. Ngisi ka guid tudo?

8. bards says:

aww! very high kilig factor. congrats to you and que. 😛

Thanks Bards.

9. isay says:

no wonder wala ka na ginbuy-an ni quennie. you two complement each other. there’s an obvious balance of nature. beauty and the beast? nyahahaha! joke3x!!!

seriously, i’ve witnessed your ups and downs and all i can say is you’ve both surpassed the trials you encountered during your 11 years of togetherness.

i admire your common activities and hobbies that make your relationship stronger. keep them up! that would lead you to a blissful marriage as time pass by. 😉

te… serious na to ha. basi makumod ka naman nga ginapulihan ta ka pirme. hehehe… :)

Hi Er, you and Val had been an inspiration to us also.

Serious ka da! Pagkatapos nga mga hambal ka Beauty and the Beast. Serious na bala?

10. Johnny Sy says:

A love story worth of a movie — or an episode on Maalaala Mo Kaya!! I’m impressed with the planning, the acting but definitely something that will melt a woman’s heart!! I guess the Ilonggo’s are truly romantic!! Congratulations and Best Wishes!!

Thanks Johnny. Im not sure if this merits a movie or an MMK. Pero Im sure it can fit in Joe D’ Mango’s Love Notes or the classic Mr. Kupido. Yehey!

11. anna says:

Congratulations to you! I have met Que only during her Paris trip and she was so ecstatic and glooming with pride when she showed us the ring. She was really happy.

Cheers!

Thanks Anna. And thank you for taking care of Quennie while she was in Paris. Buti na lang at kayo nagkasama dun. Wala siya naging ka fling. Hahaha.

12. Gene says:

Hey manokan, congrats! and great work on takbo.ph!

Thanks Gene. Btw, why did you remove your post? I would have agreed with you about it a 100%. Anyway, I guess we would forever hold our peace. 😀

13. Bjay says:

Wow! Super kilig! Actually, napaluha pa ako. Ang sweet! Parang nasa movie. =D Good job! Congrats! :)

Hi Bjay. Kmusta na? May bagong email address tayo a. Mas gusto ko yung luma. Hehehe.

14. Kinderdorf says:

Awww! What a romantic story! Well, after 10 years of being together nothing beats this!

Congratulations and I can only wish you the best.

Giving her the Bible was cool. Just don’t forget that God should always be in your marriage equation.

Cheers and God bless!

Ipe

Thanks Sir Ipe.

15. let says:

wow!!! wala akong masabi sa pagiibigan ninyo. pogi points para sa iyo jinoe, ang sweet at ang romantic naman ng ginawa mo, kinilabutan ako at nagbalik sa pagkadalaga. to queenie, you’re one lucky girl :)

best wishes sa inyong dalawa at keep on loving each other.

stay happy and God bless you both.

(how i wish na maka punta kami sa kasal ninyo….)

16. reading your love story it makes you cry. how pure and sweet life can still be but still have the same magic. congratulations im happy for the both of you.